1.  My direct licensing guidelines

            1.1          These are the direct licensing guidelines of Paula Standing. This document contains information about licensing my sound recordings and music videos. It sets out the procedure to be followed when you are making an enquiry about direct licensing for public performance or transmission.

            1.2          An alternative to licensing the sound recording or music video directly from me is to obtain a blanket licence from the Phonographic Performance company of Australia (PPCA).  If you obtain the PPCA blanket licence then you will not require a licence from me because the blanket licence gives you permission, within the terms of the licence, to play any recording from the PPCA catalogue which covers over 5,000 recording labels including my sound recordings and music videos.  Go to or call PPCA on (02) 8569 1111 to find out more.

  1. Types of licences offered for sound recordings and music videos

             2.1        I only provide non-exclusive licences. This means I can offer the same licences to other people. For example, if I licence your restaurant to play my sound recordings and/or music videos, I can also licence any other businesses (including other restaurants) that wish to play my sound recordings and music videos.

             2.2       I offer licences for the following purposes:

                          a.          Public performance licences for my sound recordings and music videos. You will need a public performance licence if you intend to play the sound recording or music video in public, for example by playing a CD at your business premises;

            2.3        These licences are separate from any licence required in respect of the underlying copyright in the music and lyrics on the sound recording or music video. Unless the underlying musical works are no longer protected by copyright, you will need to obtain permission the underlying musical works (including lyrics). Permission to use musical works can be sought from the Australasian Performing Rights Association (APRA ) and the Australasian Mechanical Copyright Owners Society ( AMCOS ). These two organisations operate from the same office and have responsibility for different types of licensing. See                                                    or call 1300 852 388.

  1. What is the process for direct licensing?


             3.1         To enquire about directly licensing any of my sound recordings or music videos, please contact me on 0417 824 250 and/or                               

             3.2        I require the following information:

                           a.          your business name;

                           b.          your ABN;

                           c.          your contact details;

                           d.         a brief description of your business (eg cafè, gym, radio station, film festival);

                           e.         an accurate estimation, to the best of your ability and in good faith, of the number of customers per month attending your business (for radio and television stations, we require an estimate of your audience numbers. For one-off events please estimate the number of people you anticipate will attend);

                           f.          the title of each sound recording and/or music video you wish to use (if you wish to use an entire album please indicate this);

                           g.          a brief description of how you will be using the sound recording and/ or music video (please keep the description under 200 words);

                           h.          how long you require the licence (for example, is it for a one-off event or do you require it for a longer period, such as 12 months?); and

             3.3        Once you have provided me with this information I will get in touch with you to discuss whether a direct licence is likely appropriate in the circumstances.

             3.4        After speaking with you I may require additional information.

             3.5        I grant licences for the following periods:

                           a.          one-off events;

                           b.          6 months;

                           c.          12 months;

                           d.          any longer periods;

              3.6       I grant licences to the following types of businesses and for the following purposes. If your business type or purpose is not listed you may fit into my ‘other’ category:

                           a.          childcare centres;

                           b.          community halls;

                           c.          concert venues;

                           d.          festivals;

                           e.          gymnasiums and fitness centres;

                           f.          music on hold;

                           g.          nightclubs;

                           h.          restaurants and cafès;

                           i.          schools and universities;

                           j.          theatres;

                           k.          other.

             3.7       Once you have signed the licence agreement you are able to use the sound recording and/or music video in accordance with the terms and conditions of the licence. Don’t forget to contact APRA|AMCOS to see if you also require a licence from them for the use of the musical works and lyrics. See or call APRA|AMCOS on 1300 852 288 to find out more.